Cult Wines Q2 2021 Performance Introduction
Fine wine markets wine markets hit all-time highs in Q2. The wider economic recovery and demand for real assets propelled fine wine prices to three straight months of growth. This strength came at the right time for the Bordeaux 2020 en primeur (EP) campaign which added the third instalment of the ‘trilogy’ of great vintages (along with 2018 and 2019) to the market despite ongoing pandemic disruption.
In this report, we look at the key takeaways from the EP campaign as well as the wider trends and performance in the fine wine market. We have also partnered with Finura Partners to bring a fresh perspective on the wider financial markets.
Q2 Fine Wine Market Highlights
- Liv-ex 1000 reached new all-time highs in each month of Q2, netting a quarterly return of 3.0%. The Rest of World 60 and Burgundy 50 posted the highest regional growth figures.
- The improving macro backdrop and the longer-term suspension of the US tariffs on European wines added tailwinds to fine wine’s performance.
- As expected, Bordeaux 2020 EP release prices were higher than 2019, but a selective approach to both new EP wines and back vintages revealed exciting opportunities.
Q2 Financial Market Highlights
- Global economic growth forecasts rose primarily due to an improved outlook for advanced economies.
- Global equities advanced in Q2 as most markets overcame bouts of volatility due to inflation concerns. The accelerating roll-out of Covid-19 vaccines provided support throughout.
- Government bond yields saw divergent performance. US 10-year yields fell (meaning prices rose) while yields rose in Europe. Corporate bonds outperformed government bonds. Commodities gained with energy again the strongest component.
Q2 Cult Wines Performance Highlights
- CW Main index returned 4.3% in Q2.
- CW Champagne topped our performance by region with our Burgundy wines also posting strong growth.
Download Cult Wines Quarterly Reports
Quarter Two Investment Overview 2021
Quarter One Investment Overview 2021
Quarter Four Investment Overview 2020
Quarter Three Investment Overview 2020
Quarter Two Investment Overview 2020
Quarter One Investment Overview 2020
Quarter Four Investment Overview 2019
Quarter Three Investment Overview 2019
Quarter Two Investment Overview 2019